Monday, October 28, 2013

Not Drowning But Waving

There have most definitely been moments when I've felt that I was drowning in the writing process for the third book in The MaCall Prophecy Trilogy.  I have repeatedly told myself that I refused to let Triple Threat kick my ass.  But damn if it isn't putting up a good fight.

I was nearly half done when I decided to do a complete re-write.  I am very passionate about sociology and politics, both of which could easily slip into this particular novel.  The genre, however, is not about making some grand statement.  So I started over and focused instead on developing the romantic relationship and the suspenseful action.  And while I'm thrilled with the changes I've made, the choice to re-write threw me off of my deadline.  I, however, refused to admit defeat and continued to forge ahead.

For the record, I still will not admit defeat.  But it is important to me that I take the time to make sure this one is done properly.  There's nothing worse than getting excited about a trilogy as a reader and finishing with a sour taste in your mouth.  So I refer to a spectacular Stevie Smith poem in my post title to indicate that this book has not licked me, it has merely forced me to take my time to do it the justice I feel it deserves.

Triple Threat follows the story of Teddie Archer.  She has just graduated from college and is returning home, but not to enter the family business as her mother and aunt had hoped.  And even before she can begin to build her political career as an employee in the Mayor's office, she learns that her childhood friend has been abducted.  When she ventures outside of the city walls to go after her, the secret society that has been hell bent on destroying her since birth begins their attack anew.  She must rely on her own powers of premonition as well as the support of Special Agent Luke Berger and her best friend, Dominic Battaglia, two men who are both determined to love and protect Teddie at all cost.

I want more than anything to have this book wrapped within the next two weeks so that I can release by November 15, before the holiday hustle begins.  But I am also perfectly aware of the obligations I have at this particular moment to my day job.  So I will do the best that I can.

And as I mentioned before, I welcome any extrinsic motivation.  So please feel free to email me a daily "you suck" email until I am able to complete this final book to my liking.  I will welcome the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment