Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May 8, 2013 - Ode to Self-Publishing (okay...it's not actually an ode)

I just read this fantastic blog written by David Gaughran about the dangers of the supremely powerful vanity presses.  For years, I have been writing and writing and submitting query after query to agents and publishing houses.  And while I take the rejections and constructive criticism in stride and have hopefully improved my writing along the way, I become a bit irate when tragic celebrities are then represented by the very same people who rejected me.  Naturally, there's more money for the publishers when the "author" is a brand name.  I get that.  It's a business.

But it's not just a business for me.  I'm not making millions at all.  Hell, I'm barely making enough to purchase the occasional caramel latte that I crave a few times each month.  But the point is that after years of trying to get my writing out there, I now have nearly 3,000 people reading my work...after only 2 months.  Many of these 3,000 people downloaded my book during a free promotion.  This doesn't help my caramel latte cause.  But the point is that they are reading my work.

I can't lie, I would love to be able to see my books on a shelf in Barnes and Noble.  This has been my dream since I was thirteen.  But I cannot possibly express how thrilled I am to have the opportunities that self-publishing has afforded me.

Along the same lines as Gaughran's article, I am also disconcerted by the fact that two "publishers" have contacted me to offer to consider representation.  I'm not biting.  And here's why:

1.  With self-publishing, I write what I want, how I want, and when I want.
2.  When I want to modify something in a published piece, I can revise and re-publish.
3.  I can hire a cover designer and get exactly what I want.  (Laura Gordon did my most recent cover and was extremely talented, very prompt, and more affordable than most designers I have seen and contacted.  When I struggled to express exactly what I wanted, I fumbled through and Laura shot back a design that somehow met my vision precisely.  She is AMAZING!)
4.  I can price my books as I see fit, more or less, and monitor my sales as they occur.  I can track when sales are up or down and try to anticipate trends.
5.  I can market my books as much or as little as I want.

I wrote Bonds of Matrimony and Inner Moonlight myself, I got them edited, paid for cover design, and created all of the social networking accounts to being publishing.  I ran my own promotions and marketed the events.  I come home from my day job, enjoy some family time, and spend my evenings writing or marketing.  And after I get off the ground, a "publisher" will step in and take over, use all of my work and take a cut of my profits.  I don't really understand what they have to offer me that I can't handle myself.  What service am I paying them for when I am doing all of the work?

And with everything that I'm reading about even the Big 6, I honestly don't know that I would consider working with them, either.  Who knows?  I'm still new to this entire scene.  Perhaps when I'm making my millions, I won't want to be bothered with the nuisance of marketing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment